This training will examine the pros and cons of information technology for both therapists and clients. Clinicians and educators must understand the impact and concept of digital media if they are to keep young people safe and support their growth to adulthood.
Topics covered will include:
- Media/digital literacy
- Strategies and tools to help mediate and monitor tech use
- Harm reduction vs. abstinence when containing social media use
- The good: connecting, resources, peer supports
- The bad: cyber bullying, pornography, online luring, poison envy
- The opportunities and risks of using social/digital media.
- How to bridge the divide between therapist and (young) clients when using social/digital media.
- How to enhance safety and privacy online when seeing young people in therapy.