Serving Youth in Newcomer Communities (SYNC) is an online, self-directed professional development training program for Settlement Service Providers.
This newly developed course will be launched for the first time this year, from October 1st to November 10th, 2022. The registration deadline is September 25th, 2022.
Upon completion of the training, learners will be able to:
- Learn to unpack their biases and engage in self-reflective practice
- Develop interpersonal and professional skills and knowledge to support diverse communities of newcomer youth
- Critically analyze the various systems that newcomer youth come into contact with, that may cause or perpetuate barriers and/or trauma
- Strategize interventions that respond to barriers and empower youth
- Develop programming that centres youth and responds directly to community-identified needs
This course is open to settlement workers and service providers who are working in or with the immigrant and refugee-serving sector across the province who are willing to:
- Commit to approximately 2-4 hours of learning per week.
- Engage in SYNC 101 Group in www.SettleNet.org, a new national online Community of Practice for the Settlement Sector.
- Complete assignments within the given timeframe.
Please note this is a 5 Module online training program. At the successful completion of the entire e-course, you will receive a certification of completion from OCASI.