“I Don’t Know What a Teenage Life is Like”: What Young Caregivers Want You to Know3 months ago 3 months ago
Over half a million young people in Ontario are providing care for family members or friends with a physical or mental health challenge while balancing the demands of school, work, and life.
What challenges do these young caregivers experience and what opportunities exist for support and adult allyship?
How can we better recognize the caregiving by young people and the critical role they play in their families?
How can we better include young caregivers in discussions about caregiving?
On Thursday, June 24th, the Ontario Caregiver Organization and YouthREX hosted an engaging discussion about the experiences of young caregivers and what young caregivers want you to know.
Our special guests included Liam Genik and Jillian Lynch.
The conversation was facilitated by Kathleen Slemon, Program Lead, Peer Support and Young Caregiver Initiatives, Ontario Caregiver Organization, and Kathe Rogers, Program Director, YouthREX.
- Young Caregivers Connect
- What are Young Carers? (Hospice Toronto Young Carer’s Program)
- Resources for Kids and Teens (Young Caregivers Association)
- What to Prepare for as a Young Caregiver (Video)
- Young Caregivers: You Are Not Alone (Video)
- Hidden: The Voices of Young Carers (Podcast)
- Young Adults as Caregivers (Factsheet)
- A Closer Look: Young Carers (Factsheet)
- A Young Caregiver’s Letter to Her Father with Alzheimer’s (Video)
- Young Carers in Canada: The Hidden Costs and Benefits of Young Caregiving (Report)
Youth Research & Evaluation eXchange (YouthREX). (2021, June 24). “I Don’t Know What a Teenage Life is Like”: What Young Caregivers Want You to Know (Webinar Recording) on YouTube [Video file]. Retrieved from https://youtu.be/El3lGuDFQoI
Categorised in: Webinar