A Better Way Forward: Ontario’s 3-Year Anti-Racism Strategic Plan3 years ago 3 years ago Leave your thoughts
This report was published by the Government of Ontario.
HERE’S HOW THE AUTHORS DESCRIBE THIS REPORT:
This 3-year anti-racism strategic plan is the province’s commitment to change the way we do things and break down barriers to advance racial equity. This means reviewing government policies, programs, and services to find ways for everyone to have better opportunities and outcomes.
A Better Way Forward: Ontario’s 3-Year Anti-Racism Strategic Plan targets systemic racism by building an anti-racism approach into the way government develops policies, makes decisions, evaluates programs, and monitors outcomes. It calls for a proactive, collaborative effort from all government ministries and community partners to work toward racial equity.
The plan is comprised of initiatives under four categories: Policy, Research and Evaluation; Sustainability and Accountability; Public Education and Awareness; and Community Collaboration. In addition, there are targeted population-specific strategies. All of these initiatives are informed by the following key guiding principles:
- Systemic focus: We are focusing on proactively removing systemic barriers and root causes of racial inequities in provincial institutions.
- Whole-of-government, collective impact approach: We recognize that working with ministries across government – not in silos – is required to address systemic racial inequities.
- Targeted universalism: We recognize everyone benefits from government’s targeted removal of systemic barriers faced by the most disadvantaged communities. Reducing barriers and disparities leads to a better Ontario for everyone.
- Distinctness and intersectionality of racisms: We acknowledge racism is experienced differently by various racialized groups, and within groups along intersectional lines, including gender identity, creed, class, sexual orientation, history of colonization, etc.
- Inclusive process: Indigenous and racialized people must be meaningfully engaged. Their perspectives and guidance inform the strategy and government decision-making.
- Transparent, evidence-based approach: Our approach is evidence-based and driven by measurable goals and outcomes that are tracked and publicly reported. This is consistent with Ontario’s Open Government principles.
- Sustainability: We are setting the foundation for long-term government anti-racism efforts.
Government of Ontario. (2017). A better way forward: Ontario’s 3-Year anti-racism strategic plan. Toronto, ON: Queen’s Printer for Ontario. Retrieved from https://www.ontario.ca/page/better-way-forward-ontarios-3-year-anti-racism-strategic-plan
Categorised in: Report