Do Better: 2SLGBTQ+ Youth Recommendations for Change in Ontario10 months ago 10 months ago
This report was published by LGBT YouthLine.
HERE’S HOW THE AUTHORS DESCRIBE THIS REPORT:
This report draws from LGBT YouthLine’s Needs Assessment, We’re Here: 2SLGBTQ+ Youth Across Ontario Assert Needs and Experiences, where almost 1,200 2SLGBTQ+ youth from across Ontario shared their experiences, dreams, and demands for change.
The report details seven recommendations calling on organizations, government, service providers, educators, health care professionals, and community leaders in Ontario to #DoBetter to support 2SLGBTQ+ youth in Ontario.
The seven recommendations are:
- Redesign health system services and programs for 2SLGBTQ+ youth, especially mental health services & care for trans youth.
- In suburbs, smaller cities, towns, and on reserves, intentionally dedicate resources (space, time, energy) and funding to directly support 2SLGBTQ+ youth.
- Develop mechanisms for grassroots 2SLGBTQ+ youth organizing to access much-needed resources and supports.
- Meaningful involvement of 2SLGBTQ+ youth (especially racialized and Indigenous 2SLGBTQ+ youth) in decision-making at the local, regional, and provincial levels.
- Proactive efforts to increase 2SLGBTQ+ youth representation in positions of power and influence.
- Mandate change in building/facility standards to have safe, accessible, all-gender washrooms in all public spaces in Ontario, including on reserves.
- Comprehensive and ongoing training and capacity-building focused on supporting 2SLGBTQ+ youth, and challenging homo/bi/transphobia and racism.
For more details about each of these recommendations and how you can take action, dobetter.youthline.ca.
LGBT YouthLine. (2021). Do Better: 2SLGBTQ+ Youth Recommendations for Change in Ontario. http://dobetter.youthline.ca/
Categorised in: Report