A Creative Approach to Using Mindfulness With Youth2 years ago 2 years ago
This webinar was hosted by YouthREX.
HERE’S HOW THE HOSTS DESCRIBE THIS WEBINAR:
Looking for innovative ways to support mental health, especially during this difficult time? Mindfulness-based interventions (MBIs) can strengthen your work with young people.
Researchers studying MBIs have reported a multitude of benefits, including improved emotion regulation, mood, social competence, and resilience. Youth workers and other frontline practitioners have a unique contribution to make to the practice and study of MBIs: our approaches are holistic, creative, and strengths-based, and we aim to create change that moves beyond the individual, recognizing our interconnectedness and encouraging us to act to support our communities.
In this webinar, you’ll learn about:
- the personal and professional benefits of practicing mindfulness, including developing therapeutic presence and engaging people in enjoyable processes that foster inclusion and expression;
- a variety of arts-based mindfulness activities;
- how to facilitate/discuss the philosophy of mindfulness, including some of its concepts (self-compassion/non-judgement) and practices (mindful breathing/meditation);
- how to facilitate these concepts and practices by way of arts-based and experiential methods that are highly engaging and foster enjoyment and success.
Our special guests for this discussion, based in Sudbury, Ontario, have studied arts-based mindfulness and worked with children and youth, university students, youth and adults seeking mental health services, elementary school teachers, and women leaving abusive relationships:
- Dr. Diana Coholic, Professor, School of Social Work, Laurentian University
- Tricia Goeldner, Social Worker, Rainbow District School Board
- Amanda Hardy, Elementary School Teacher, Rainbow District School Board
Download the slide deck by clicking on the Webinar Resource button above.
- Toolkit: Mindfulness-Based Programs for Youth: A Toolkit for Youth Workers (YouthREX & HAP, 2020)
- Holistic Arts Based Program
- HAP 12-Session Outline
- HAP Activity Pages
- HAP Parent Brochure
Youth Research & Evaluation eXchange (YouthREX). (2020, May 19). A Creative Approach to Using Mindfulness With Youth (Webinar Recording) on Vimeo [Video file]. Retrieved from https://vimeo.com/420424278
Categorised in: Webinar