Supporting Youth Living With & Affected by HIV3 years ago 3 years ago
This webinar was hosted by YouthREX.
HERE’S HOW THE HOSTS DESCRIBE THIS WEBINAR:
What are the barriers to accessing supports for young people living with and affected by HIV? How are these youth currently being supported? What strategies are critical in providing well-rounded supports for youth living with and affected by HIV, and how can youth-serving organizations adopt these best practices?
As we approach the fourth decade since the first cases were diagnosed, we better understand how HIV works, and how the disease impacts individuals and transforms communities. HIV is incurable, but it is preventable and treatable. This webinar conversation featured frontline practitioners and young people discussing barriers and opportunities for youth living with and affected by HIV, and how youth workers can promote evidence-informed best practices for effectively supporting these youth. We explored:
- The social drivers that contribute to, and result in, increased vulnerability, stigma, and discrimination
- What youth workers can do to support young people and break down the stigma associated with HIV
- How youth workers can integrate a critical approach when engaging youth living with and affected by HIV
The webinar featured:
- Dane Record, Black, African & Caribbean Outreach Coordinator, & Kyana Graham, Youth Outreach Coordinator, AIDS Committee of Durham Region
- Samara Carroll, Family Support Team Lead, The Teresa Group
- Ashley Murphy, Activist & Youth Advocate
- Ciann L. Wilson, Assistant Professor, Wilfrid Laurier University
- Ilhan Abdullahi, YouthREX Research Assistant
Youth Research & Evaluation eXchange (YouthREX). (2019, February 4). Supporting Youth Living With & Affected by HIV (Webinar Recording) on Vimeo [Video file]. Retrieved from https://vimeo.com/315298197
Categorised in: Webinar