Hacking Deficit Thinking: A Youth Work Teach-In with Dr. Byron McClure & Dr. Kelsie Reed5 months ago 5 months ago
This video was produced by YouthREX.
HERE’S HOW THE CREATORS DESCRIBE THIS VIDEO:
Hacking Deficit Thinking: Reframing Strength-Based Practices and Equity in Schools was a Youth Work Teach-In featuring Dr. Byron McClure and Dr. Kelsie Reed, US-based school psychologists and authors of Hacking Deficit Thinking: 8 Reframes That Will Change The Way You Think About Strength-Based Practices and Equity in Schools, on November 30, 2022.
The education sector has focused for far too long on what’s wrong with students, staff, and even parents. Deficit thinking has created a powerful narrative within education that prioritizes mental illness instead of mental wellness. This narrative seems too enormous to shift away from at times because it’s ingrained in how we have historically thought about mental health.
Participants were inspired and energized to explore an equity-informed strength-based approach to support youth mental health and wellbeing.
Watch the spoken word performance from Cassandra Myers.
Teach-In Resources & Links:
- PRESENTATION: Dr. McClure & Dr. Reed: A Strength-Based Approach to Supporting Youth Mental Health
- PRESENTATION: YouthREX: Hacking Deficit Thinking Teach-In Slides
- SPOKEN WORD ARTIST: Cassandra Myers
- BOOK: Hacking Deficit Thinking: 8 Reframes That Will Change The Way You Think About Strength-Based Practices and Equity in Schools
- EXTERNAL RESOURCES: Clifton Strengths Finder & VIA Survey of Character Strengths
- REPORT: #HearNowON: Ontario Student Perspectives on School Mental Health
- WEBINAR: Reaching & Teaching Students in Poverty: Strategies for Erasing the Opportunity Gap with Dr. Gorski
Note: Unfortunately, this presentation is not available with French interpretation; due to technical difficulties beyond our control, we were unable to activate the simultaneous interpretation function in Zoom.
Youth Research & Evaluation eXchange (YouthREX). (2022). Hacking Deficit Thinking // Reframing Strength-Based Practices in Schools // A Youth Work Teach-In [Video file]. https://youtu.be/5tZlyrsAzmk
Categorised in: Video